Tandem trailer is a length rig that has two trailers attached one behind another to a tractor. A single axle trailer is a type of axle which has a single axle and one wheel at each side.
It is fitted straight into the trailer bed and fixed with clamps or is fixed with springs with the help of support hardware for fitting. On the other hand, tandem trailers have two axles. They are fitted close to one another so that the load or the cargo weight gets divided between the two.
The basic differences between the single axle trailer and the tandem trailer
Positive Points of the Single Axle Trailer:
- It has two wheels that mean it has only two tires, brakes, and bearings that require replacement and maintenance when it gets damaged due to wear and tear.
- Towing single axle trailer is comparatively easy due to their lightweight.
- It does not cover much space when parked
- When two identical size trailers of single axle and tandem are compared the single axle trailer can be steered effortlessly and more smoothly.
- The price of the single axle trailer is comparatively lower than others.
Benefits of the Tandem Trailers:
- It has high-end suspension
- A tandem is less prone to swaying and bounces much less as compared to single axle trailer when loaded in a proper manner.
- They are safer than other trailers. The law makes it mandatory to equip the trailers with brakes if they are loaded with weights between 750kg and 2000 kg.
- When travelling, they are quite stable and reliable.
- Flat tyres do not occur much however even if it occurs it can be replaced quite easily without the help of a jack.
- It is available in a huge amount in the market thus finding a good quality tandem is easy.
The tandem dual axle trailer offers varied functionalities like firmness, braking, handling and the ability to carry heavy loads. These trailers start from the 8×5 size and are fitted with brakes. These trailers are available in different sizes that can carry a different amount of loads.
One can also fit in electric brakes or mechanical override brakes. The box of the trailer is crafted according to the load it has to carry like heavy or medium-duty load. It can also be fitted with slide under ramps, bolt on the cage that is detachable, toolboxes, tipper mechanism, etc. The tandem trailers are built maintaining the guidelines of designing declared by the Government.
It depends on the requirement and choice of the customer whether he or she needs a tandem axle trailer or a single axle trailer. Experts advise that if a person occasionally hauls them, they must go for the single axle trailer whereas long-distance hauling will require a tandem trailer. Tandem trailers are great for long distances as they ensure safety and stability. They are reliable in this type of travelling situations as compared to single axle trailers.