Important Questions Answered For Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence!
Recently there has been a hike in people wanting to join the transportation business as several vacancies are opening up. Those individuals seeking a career in trucking, logistics, construction or mining need to get their Heavy Rigid license as a method to get selected for the job. The heavy vehicle driver licence is the top class of vehicle licence that can be acquired from a standard vehicle licence and empowers the licence holder to drive the following vehicles:
- Trucks and buses with a gross vehicle mass (GVM) of more than eight tons and a minimum of three axles.
- Towed trailers with a GVM.
How would you get your Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence?
To get your Heavy Rigid licence, there are some qualification measures that you need to meet:
- Must have at least a Class C car licence (or higher) that has been operational to somewhere around two years or greater.
- If you are updating from a car licence, you should pass the RMS test (or identical in your state) along with the knowledge information test. This isn’t needed on the off chance that you right now hold an LR or MR licence.
- Complete the on-street practical assessment.
- Pass your eye assessment.
- If a medical condition is mentioned in your licence, you need to have medical clearance for the same if you are applying for a new licence class.
- If you want to utilise your HR License to drive a bus or truck, you may likewise have to acquire your driver’s authorisation from TMR.
What is a Heavy Rigid Licence?
An HR licence provides you with the option to drive any bus or truck (that can include a movable crane, smaller excavators and earthmovers) with more than 8 tons Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) and at least three axles.
Types of Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence that you need to consider:
Condition B Heavy Rigid Licence – It empowers you to drive vehicles with an Automatic HR and a Manual HR (a clutch system similar to a car). This is a more straightforward licence to acquire and is the best decision for individuals who won’t be driving vehicles with a crash gearbox.
Unrestricted Heavy Rigid Licence – It empowers you to drive an HR vehicle with a crash gearbox that requires double clutching to switch gears and coordinate the car’s speed on the road. This gearbox is complicated to drive in, especially if you are driving in it for the first time. But by obtaining this class of heavy vehicle drivers license will empower you to drive all HR vehicles.
How would I get my heavy vehicle drivers licence?
You can get your HR License by effectively finishing a Heavy Rigid License training course through a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in your neighbourhood.
How would I find and enrol for a Heavy Rigid licence course in Australia?
Given the interest in HR licenses in Australia, one can easily find a training class near them. Numerous driver institutes offer HR driving courses accessible in all states, authorised by Registered Training Organizations (RTOs).
An average HR driving course would have the following:
- Getting a pre-functional vehicle check.
- Regular cabin checks.
- Start, stop, parking, reversing and securing the vehicle.
- Checking the steering wheel, changing gears, clutch, brakes and acceleration.
- Movement of the vehicle and keeping a safe distance from nearby vehicles to avoid crashes.
- Understanding of the Street rules and signs.
- Uphill climbing and stopping.
- It is properly securing the load.
- Learning the Bus Stop Procedures (relevant for bus drivers).
- The final test to access the overall learning.
What does it cost to get a Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence?
The expense of finishing a Heavy Rigid training course will rely on the institute you are taking the course from and the type of HR licence you have applied for. On average, you can hope to pay somewhere in the range of $750 and $900 for the Condition B Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence, or between $1200 to $1800 for the Unrestricted Heavy Vehicle Drivers Licence.
Hoping this article cleared all your doubts regarding getting a heavy vehicle drivers licence in Australia. Start your career by getting an HR licence and enjoy the best time of your life!